When is a Custody Modification Needed?


As a parent, you want to help your child grow up and thrive in a loving and caring environment that meets their needs. But have you ever wondered what happens when their needs change and their current custody order no longer works? Our custody modifications attorneys at Smith & Sturdivant, LLLC share when parents might wish to seek a modification for their child.

Substantial Change in Circumstances

As your child grows older, they may experience some changes in their life, such as changing schools, meeting new friends, and developing new interests. While these changes are meaningful to your child’s life and development, a custody modification can only be made if a change is considered substantial.

Examples of substantial changes in circumstances include:

  • New medical needs of the child or one of the parents that would require different care,
  • A change in the child’s schedule in which the time-sharing schedule would need to be modified,
  • A change in one or both parent’s work schedule or the increase or decrease in traveling for one parent,
  • And any other experience that might make it difficult for one of both parents to follow the current schedule.

For the proposed modification to be approved by the court, it must be in the child’s best interests and considered less disruptive than keeping the current custody order.

How Do I Pursue a Custody Modification?

If you believe there has been a substantial change in your child’s life and they would benefit from a custody modification, an experienced custody attorney can help. The attorney will review the changes with you and help you prepare your motion for modification so you can seek court approval.

Smith & Sturdivant, LLLC Custody Attorneys

As you and your children grow older, your collective needs will change. Your child may require a different time-sharing schedule or custody order to reflect their needs so they can grow and develop into an adult. You might need assistance with a changed work or travel schedule. With the help of a trusted custody attorney, your family can find a solution to its new custody issues.

Do you believe your family has experienced a substantial change in circumstances? Schedule a free consultation with one of our family law advocates by calling us at (808) 201-3898.

Share To:

Contact Smith & Sturdivant, LLLC Today!

A member of our team will be in touch shortly to confirm your contact details or address questions you may have.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy