Honolulu Uncontested Divorce Lawyer
Guiding Clients Through The Uncontested Divorce Process in Hawaii
If you are ready to legally end your marriage, an uncontested divorce may be your least-complicated option. Our Honolulu attorney has been handling uncontested divorce cases since 2005, and he understands how to navigate this area of family law with competence and precision. If you and your spouse are able to reach an agreement on all important matters regarding the dissolution of your marriage, you may be eligible for an uncontested divorce proceeding. Since divorce laws in Hawaii can be complex, seeking the counsel of an experienced lawyer should be a top priority. At Smith & Sturdivant, LLLC, our lawyer cares about each and every case he handles and strives to accommodate our clients during what may prove to be the most difficult time in their lives.
What is an Uncontested Divorce?
An uncontested divorce is considered a legal process in which both spouses agree on the terms of the divorce without the need for court intervention. This streamlined approach allows couples to dissolve their marriage without the stress and expense of a protracted court battle. In an uncontested divorce, both parties collaborate to reach an agreement on key issues such as asset division, spousal support, child custody, and child support.
Benefits of An Uncontested Divorce
Unfortunately, not all marriages work out, and sometimes divorcing your spouse is the right thing to do for the entire family. The best outcome after divorce that is deemed necessary is for both parties to reach an amicable agreement over all the terms of their divorce; this is called an uncontested divorce. Our Honolulu uncontested divorce lawyer has extensive experience with helping married couples reach an agreement without involving the courts. If you are looking to file for divorce or need to respond to a divorce filing, our family law firm can guide you.
At Smith & Sturdivant, LLLC, we help our clients understand the many benefits of an uncontested divorce, including:
- It is a streamlined process since both parties agree on important terms such as spousal support, child custody, child support, and division of assets
- Your divorce may be granted much faster than a contested divorce
- Your court and attorney costs will be lower
- It may prove to be less emotionally draining
If you believe you and your spouse can amicably reach an agreement without involving the courts and a judge, then you are ready to proceed with an uncontested divorce. Though ending a marriage is never easy, we have the experience necessary to guide you through this time in your life.
What are the Requirements for an Uncontested Divorce in Hawaii?
While uncontested divorces offer a simplified process, specific requirements must be met to proceed with this option in Hawaii. Here are the key prerequisites for an uncontested divorce in Honolulu:
- Residency Requirements: To file for divorce in Hawaii, at least one of the spouses must be a resident of the state for a continuous six-month period before filing. We can help you gather the necessary documentation to establish residency and ensure that you meet this requirement.
- Grounds for Divorce: Hawaii is considered a no-fault divorce state, which means that neither party needs to establish fault or wrongdoing to dissolve the marriage. The only recognized ground for divorce is that the marriage is irretrievably broken. This acknowledgment by both spouses can form the basis for an uncontested divorce.
- Agreement on Key Issues: For an uncontested divorce to proceed, both spouses must be in agreement on essential matters such as the division of property and debts, spousal support (if applicable), child custody, and child support. We can help you negotiate and draft a comprehensive agreement that satisfies legal requirements and addresses the unique aspects of your situation.
- Complete and Accurate Documentation: Uncontested divorces hinge on the preparation of accurate and thorough documentation. We will guide you through the process of gathering necessary financial records, creating a comprehensive parenting plan, and ensuring that all required forms are completed accurately.
- Filing and Finalization: Once all documentation is in order, we will assist you in filing the necessary paperwork with the court. After the court reviews and approves the agreement, a final hearing will be scheduled. During this hearing, a judge will then review the terms of the agreement and issue a final divorce decree, officially ending the marriage.
How Long Does an Uncontested Divorce in Hawaii Take?
An uncontested divorce in Hawaii takes approximately 3 to 8 weeks after all documents are completed and submitted to the court.
Contact Our Uncontested Divorce Attorney in Honolulu Today
At Smith & Sturdivant LLLC, our Honolulu uncontested divorce lawyer brings a wealth of experience and a commitment to personalized service. If you are considering an uncontested divorce, don't hesitate to contact Smith & Sturdivant LLLC today. We are ready to provide the legal support you need to navigate this significant life transition with confidence and ease.
“Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.”I can't express enough on how thankful I am to have found Atty Sturdivant and his Legal Assistant, Sarena. They helped me tremendously get through a process that I never thought I could have overcome - a divorce. They made this a very smooth and painless process. As a result, I am relieved. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.- Floriza F.
“They will always have your back, these family lawyers are second to none!!”Bottom line, if anyone is looking for the highest quality in service and care, wishing to be in the best possible hands you could be during the delicate and sensitive legal matters you may need assistance with, save some time and make the right decision, talk to Mr. Justin and Mr. Daniel, you will not regret it, they will always have your back, these family lawyers are second to none!!- Juan S.
“Did a great job of being a friend as well as attorney.”I went thru an extremely painful divorce. One I never saw coming, and one I never wanted to happen. Justin was there to guide me and advise me when needed. Always available to see me, or talk on the phone when I had questions. Sad as the situation was, Justin seemed to feel what I was going thru and did a great job of being a friend as well as attorney. His fee was very fair, and I would highly recommend him to anyone dealing with these issues.- Salvatore
“I felt like he was straight with me, both good and bad, unlike other lawyers I've met with.”Justin Sturdivant met with me personally and took the time to answer my questions. I felt like he was straight with me, both good and bad, unlike other lawyers I've met with. If I have to go forward with my divorce I'll be going with Mr. Sturdivant.- Johnny
“He not only gave me a fair and equitable retainer fee, he got the results I was looking for.”I contacted Justin when I was in need of an attorney and he was exactly what I needed. He not only gave me a fair and equitable retainer fee, he got the results I was looking for in less time than I had personally allocated for when I originally encountered the issue. I was not only satisfied but ecstatic, I would use him for all my issues from here on forward, should I have any.- Greg